Monday, November 6, 2017

Senior Thesis day #22

Today I worked on my annotated bibliography for my thesis. I'm going to have difficulty trying to get to 15 sources. My topic is very new, and done by only one group, so finding many sources will be difficult. I've gotten 4 so far. I haven't heard back from Dr. Rising about my last email.

Annotated Bibliography
A Study of Biomimetically Synthesizing Spider Silk from a Chimeric Minispidroin
Project Description:
My project will be study-based. I’m studying laboratory methods used to artificially synthesize spider silk, and it’s potential uses and applications. I plan to produce a paper and at least a prototype of a “Biomimetic Silk Spinner” that will apply what I have learned in my study in attempts to recreate the process or explore other potential methods. As of now, I am reading up on many papers sent to me by Dr. Anna Rising of SLU (a lead researcher in synthetic production of spider silk), and working on a design for a prototype. My next move will be to carefully request a sample of the “dope” in order to test my device (that I have yet to build). I will likely have the capability to build it, but the actual protein solution used by researchers is something I cannot replicate on my own.

Andersson, Marlene, et al. Biomimetic Spinning of Artificial Spider Silk from a Chimeric Minispidroin. Nature America, Inc, 2017, Biomimetic Spinning of Artificial Spider Silk from a Chimeric Minispidroin, nature.com/naturechemicalbiology.
[This source is from a research team at SLU. They described their experimental setup, the materials and equipment used, and described their results based on changes in pH. There are also pictures of the experiment and the produced strands of silk at varying pH’s. From this source, I know that the optimal pH would be ~5.5, and the concentration of the NT2repCT dope should be ~100-500 mg/ml. Additional specifications for equipment models and sizes is also listed. The procedure for this experiment is essentially this: Pump the dope through the pulled glass capillary into the acidic buffer and then wind produced strands onto a reel for collection. The dope can be stored for extended periods at 20℃.]

Andersson, Marlene, et al. Carbonic Anhydrase Generates CO₂ and H⁺ That Drive Spider Silk Formation Via Opposite Effects in the Terminal Domains. vol. 12, PLOS Biology, 2014, pp. 1–14, Carbonic Anhydrase Generates CO₂ and H⁺ That Drive Spider Silk Formation Via Opposite Effects in the Terminal Domains.
[This source is a scientific report by the SLU research team. It describes the research that went into the experiment, discoveries made, and goes more in-depth into the specific chemical and biological processes the production goes through. The paper details how the team attempted to replicate the processes, reactions, and conditions. This report describes the “lock and trigger” mechanism, and the discovery of the role the pH gradient plays in the synthesis of spider silk. The report contains dozens of graphs, graphics, and images of various tests done to determine conditions, of which they needed to replicate.]

Rising, Anna, and Jan Johnson. Toward Spinning Artificial Spider Silk. Nature America, Inc, 2015, pp. 309–315, Toward Spinning Artificial Spider Silk.
[This is a paper written by Dr. Anna Rising and Dr. Jan Johansson detailing the quantitative and qualitative properties of natural spider silk, and how their synthetic silk compares to it. This also describes their initial approach to synthesizing it. The report also has a schematic of a hypothetical “biomimetic [silk] spinning device.” I plan on making at least one prototype that should operate on the same principle as the theoretical device. It differs slightly from the experimental setup, so I plan to also make one based on the experiment. It also briefly describes future prospects for manufacturing it on a larger scale to be used in a variety of real-world applications.]

Matchar, Emily. “New Artificial Spider Silk: Stronger Than Steel and 98 Percent Water.”Smithsonian.com, Smithsonian Institution, 26 July 2017, www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/new-artificial-spider-silk-stronger-steel-and-98-percent-water-180964176/.
[This source doesn’t discuss the silk I am studying, but it does talk about the applications for silk based on its tensile strength and ability to absorb energy. One proposed application was for protective clothing in military or bullet-proof armor. Or in sails or parachutes, or helmets. Spider silk is also biocompatible, which means that it can be used in many medical applications including stitches, tendons, skin grafts, etc. The wide range of applications for this material make it well worth researching in attempts to recreate it and produce it en-masse.]

All in a day's work

- Noah


No comments:

Post a Comment