Saturday, March 17, 2018

Last Wednesday (Junior SAT Day)

I missed last Wednesday, not because I didn't want to write (I had a draft in progress), but because I simply forgot.

I've been out of town this entire spring break, so that's why I'm just now rectifying my mistake.

Anyways, here's what I did:

Because silk has low birefrigence, I may not be able to apply it to as much as I thought I could. I suppose there are still uses with optical materials with low birefrigence, I'll just have to keep looking.

My study on the structure of spider silk should only be a small portion of my final paper, but it'll be an important component nonwithstanding. It'll give me a better understanding of how the silk functions structurally, and how those unique structural properties could be applied in developing new materials, whether they are made to duplicate spider silk or not.

My main focus in my paper will be the applications of spider silk. I figure that here forward, as I begin writing, I should concentrate my research on all potential or possible applications. My looking in to birefrigence, for example, shows that even spider silk has its limits, and it's important that I thoroughly investigate every potential before making any conclusions about it being even feasible.

Now that I've wrapped up structure and some resulting properties, I'll look at deconstructing SLU's process step-by-step, so that I can first write about it, but then also apply that to the designing of my "biomimetic silk spinner." I may not even have a physical model finished/prepared, but it'll be an interesting synthesis of what I've learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment